PG DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
Sir C. Ramalinga Reddy College, one of the premier educational institutions in Andhra Pradesh, was established on 4th July 1945 owing to the relentless efforts made by educationists, senior citizens and philanthropic benefactors of this part of the West Godavari District. The Institution was rightly named after Sir C. R . Reddy, the founder Vice- Chancellor of Andhra University, who lent all the needed support for the commencement of this prestigious institution.
The college started offering graduate course in commerce from 1951. The thrust of the commerce graduates for higher education could not be satisfied since Post – Graduate education is confined only to the University and the seats available are very limited. Having observed all these facts, the management of
Sir C. R. Reddy college made untiring efforts to secure permission from Andhra University for starting Post – Graduate course in Commerce. The administration of Andhra University conceded to the genuine demand of the management to make available Post – Graduate education at the college level. Thus Sir C R Reddy college became the first institution in Andhra University area to offer Post
– Graduate education in commerce from 1971.
Post-Graduate Department of Commerce made a modest beginning with one section comprising of 30 students and three faculty members .Later, permission was accorded by Andhra University to start second section from the academic year 1976-77 in view of the heavy demand for M.Com Course at that time. Consequently, the faculty strength gone up to six in 1976.Since the students are offered different combinations of specializations, more faculty positions are required and the faculty strength was raised to nine in 1979.
An important landmark in the history of the P.G.Department of Commerce was that the course was admitted into Grants –in-aid by the Government of Andhra Pradesh in 1981.Satisfied with the physical facilities and performance of the department, the Andhra University accorded permanent affiliation to the M.Com Course from the academic year 1991-92.Keen interest evinced by (Late) Sri Alluri Bapineedu,former President ,Governing body and (Late) Sri P.V.Krishnaiah,former Principal,coupled with the devoted efforts of present and retired faculty members and those who left for higher positions were responsible for the progress made by the Post Graduate Department of Commerce over four and half decades of its existence.
The P.G.department of Commerce is affiliated to Andhra University, Visakhapatnam till 2015-16.As per the orders of the government of Andhra Pradesh, the PG Courses are affiliated to Adikavi Nannaya University from the academic year 2016-17.
PG Department of commerce strives hard to maintain high standards in all its academic programmes .It also aims at laying a strong moral foundation among the students, which forms the very basis of their personalities. Moral teaching is done to inculcate high moral and ethical values.
The department has many programmes to foster the growth and all round development of its students. It systematically organizes various activities like Orientation classes ,Class room seminars ,Guest lectures, workshops, National Seminars, Cultural and Fine arts events etc.which provide the students an opportunity to develop themselves.
The department is also organizing two Value Added Courses which have great job potential and wide scope for development of its students. One
Course is on “MS-OFFICE “for first year students and another one is on “TALLY- ERP 9” for second year students.